Thursday, June 30, 2011

Do You Hear What I Hear...?

So our family is in the process of purchasing a small plot of land with a very old farmhouse on it just south of town.

It has been a crazy, whirlwind experience and a lesson in listening to God.

We've known for awhile that we might need a little more room than our little house on a small city lot would provide. But we've also known that it wasn't time yet.

But we've been watching. Looking at the real estate postings. Driving by properties. And through the process, we've come up with this list of what we're looking for.

Still close enough that I can ride my bike to church.

Enough square-footage for us and our five kids.

At least five-acres but not more than ten.

Layout so we can have an orchard and run some animals.

And less debt than we are in now.


I know. Sounds like a crazy list. And we knew it was fairly picky so we didn't expect it to happen any time soon.

Well, just a couple of weeks ago, via a family member and a search on craigslist, we found a property that meets every last checkpoint. So we prayed. We sought godly council. We had our builder friend look at the place. And at every turn it was a clear green light.

People who are normally cautious have given us great encouragement to move forward. The sellers were told by a friend from church to not worry because God had preserved this property for a certain family and it hadn't been time yet.

We were even blessed with an unexpected financial blessing on a day we were feeling particularly iffy in the process.

I really don't think it could be any clearer if he came down and told us face to face. He has clearly spoken.

But why is that? Because I've definitely had other times and decisions that I didn't feel I heard as clearly...if at all!

I was listening to a sermon by Matt Chandler the other day on Habakkuk, and he pointed out through Habakkuk's whinings and questions that God shows clearly that He hears and responds. It doesn't really matter who we are or what the situation. Hearing and answering are a part of who God is. It's just up to us to not miss the answer.

The very same day, I was reading Numbers 9 when the Israelites brought Moses a question about how unclean people were to deal with the Passover.

I think there is profound truth in Moses' answer:

"Wait, that I may hear what the Lord will command concerning you." (Numbers 9:8 ESV)

And maybe that's just the key. We don't wait enough. Or we lean too much or too quickly on our own understanding. Or maybe God answers and we miss it because we don't really believe He is going to answer.

I definitely don't have it all figured out. I am humbled that God has so clearly spoken to us in this recent decision. But I trust He has a purpose in it. I pray we can take encouragement today that God does hear and He does respond. Let's live in belief of that truth.

God bless.

No comments: