Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Follow The Leader...

So I had a really interesting conversation this morning with man from our church about leadership. It seems like leadership is the topic of most of my conversations since returning from Catalyst. I think it is part of the process I'm going through to assimilate the experience I had last week.

So we were talking about whether success in leadership is based on personality or not. I truly know that it cannot be solely built on personality if you want to have any future. So my friend said an interesting thing: "I guess the real test is if you remove yourself and it still goes on."

And the reason this statement was so interesting to me is that while I was at Catalyst last Wednesday, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!

I was at a conference for "Next Generation Leaders" while the NEXT "Next Generation" of leaders was leading (by all reports to me) a powerful service here at Calvary Chapel! What a blessing!

Now for the really cool stuff!

So during that service it was decided by the young people that we would get involved in some projects this next few months leading to the holidays. They chose from an overwhelming amount of needs to focus on Rapha House (an organization spearheading counseling and training for girls being freed from the sex trade) and Heart 2 Heart Outreach Ministries (a local aid organization).

So I am very humbled and encouraged by the things God is doing through young people here at 180 Youth Ministries. I am also excited to see the outcome of these chosen projects. Please pray for us and, if you are one of the young people attending here, I would love for you to post your ideas on how to engage these needs we have chosen. Can't wait to hear from you. Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am really excited about our youth group doing this. I wish I had went to the Tuesday night meeting.

I think a benefit concert would be wonderful. I know some guys in our church are in bands and playing soon. I think if they did an offering to the Rapha house to go towards a donation that would be awesome :) There are tons of people that go to those concerts.

Another idea that is exciting is our annual Halo tournament. I think if you had to pay to enter and to have pizza. All of the money could go to the Rapha house. Or we could have a special tourny that not only included Halo but Left for Dead as well. And maybe this could be an all-nighter thing with prayer and soda only :) Or it could be a fast with all donations going to Rapha House and pulling an all-nighter to remind us of the women who are up all night.

There is also the wonderful thing of buying Baht and showing it Sunday afternoon for evening church and/or for a Wednesday night to help everyone understand and realize and maybe have a visual for what these small girls and young women go through... I know that it really woke me up. Especially the fact that a real girl who went through it was sharing.

Just some ideas that I'm throwing out there. I hate not being able to attend tuesday and wednesday meetings regularly. :(

Randell said...

I am so excited to see everyone getting passionate about serving others! I think we have chosen 2 amazing causes to be involved in. I also wantto again say how amazing the service last week was! It was obvious that everyone who shared truly cared about their ministries! God is truly working and I am so amazed to see students step up and take leadership roles and do it so well! Great job guys and gals! Love the blog updates mark, keep it up!

180 Youth Ministry said...

Thanks for the ideas and encouragements, guys (& gals;). I think we really need to commit to prayer what God would have us to do for these causes to make the greatest impact. But I already see Him answering those prayers as people independently come up with the same ideas! Brittany, just today I thought about using the game tournament to raise money & awareness. I also am glad to hear that you think we should show "Baht". I think that could be a really good awareness event. Keep the ideas coming! God bless.

Anonymous said...

I have something to use as a testimony now. It has nothing to do with me personally, but someone really close to me. I don't know how this would benefit Rapha house...actually i do.

I want to wait until i'm ready to tell everyone. Maybe in a month or so...

i'll get back to you...

I want to personally meet with you. I'll text you or have Ryan text you...