Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Few More Questions

I thought I'd get in touch with my inner "Question Answer Guy" and put up responses to some more of the questions we received from the Kickoff.

Question #1: If a robot is doing the robot, is it really the robot or is it just dancing?

A great and complex question. First we must establish that we are truly talking about a robot and not some android or cyborg. Obviously if it were an android or cyborg, it would truly be doing the robot since their main function is to try to mimic human action. Therefore to dance the robot would be to mimic a human dancing the robot and thus would, in fact, be the robot.

But if it were an actual robot that would propose a more complicated analysis. Ultimately, though, it comes down to the primary service function of the robot. If he is a bottle-capping robot, for instance, and he makes the motion while capping a bottle, he is only dancing. But if he makes the motion outside of his normal function parameters, he must be doing the robot.

Question #2: What does Elvis have to do with the Gospel?

Ahh...a question that has haunted multiple generations. This dilemma first surfaced as a result of Elvis' famed Gospel tunes paralleled with his druggie, rock 'n roll ways towards the end of his life. For further on this dichotomy, check out elvisgospel.com.

However, this questions has now moved on from poodle skirt wearing grannies to a whole new generation thanks to Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis book. It is a question that I myself have often wrestled with. The closest I have come to an answer was during a recent visit to a local flea market. There, tucked away in a dusty corner, were hanging - not one- but a whole collection of real live Velvet Elvis paintings. And as I realized that I was in the presence of these fuzzy purplish/black representations of the King, I definitely had a transcendent experience....but I can't say it had much to do with Jesus;)

Question #3: How do I get involved?

Wonderful question! I'm so glad you asked!

There are so many ways to get involved at 180, and we really want you to do just that. Let me just tell you a couple of ways that I think are good next steps if you've been coming on Wednesdays.

First is Creative Worship. This gathering every Tuesday from 7pm to approximately 8:30pm is designed to give you input into what happens at 180. At the base of it is a weekly discussion on what God is doing in our lives and our ministry and how we invite our friends into responding to that. Along the way we often discuss our lives and the Bible, and, of course, throw in a healthy dose of randomness. Everyone's welcome, so come try it out!

Second is Sunday School. If you are wanting closer relationships, deeper discussion, and more Bible study, Sunday School is a great place for you to start! It meets every Sunday from 10am to 10:50am.

Well, that is about all the time I have right now. God bless and hope to see you on Wednesday!

No comments: