Friday, September 3, 2010

Some Advice....

I stumbled upon this video a few days ago.



I was searching for something entirely unrelated (I don't even remember what now) when this caught my eye.

I first noticed it because it was attributed to Baz Luhrmann, the director of some great movies such as Romeo+Juliet, Moulin Rouge, and most recently Australia. I've always admired Baz's sense of story and his mixture of ancient and modern - elements I believe that speak greatly into our faith and relationship with Jesus Christ.

But as I watched the video (which I later learned only the song was made by Baz - apparently he put out some remix album back in the late nineties!) I was so intrigued by the tongue-in-cheek humor of this pseudo commencement speech for the graduating class of life.

I appreciate the simplicity while questioning the inabsoluteness.

I marvel at the cheeriness despite the overarching message of hopelessness.

And most interestingly, I recognize the emotional pull of these words, but wonder how much of it actually rings true.

How about you. What are your responses. What is truth here and what is not? Why was this so popular? And what should this tell us about how we approach advice in our culture today?

Just some thoughts. Can't wait to hear yours. Peace.

2 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

This was pretty awesome. Very introspective. Not sure if I'm depressed or excited. Reminded me immediately of the similar scene/dialog in Fight Club. Brilliant film... Here's the most recent video I watched on YouTube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvlTVgeivU

180 Youth Ministry said...

I agree, Nate. I am unsure how to feel about this little video. Your video on the other hand...AWESOME! Some very clever lyrical reworking. My kids loved it too.