Sunday, January 2, 2011

All the leaves are...?

The last two days of 2010 here in ol' Buffalo, MO have been a whirlwind of weather.

We have experienced the "Spring warm-up" with 65 degrees and sunshine. We saw a Summer-esque Thunderstorm. We've felt the mild rains and gray skies of Fall. And then back to the chill of Winter. All in a matter of about 48 hours...and in the last two days of December!

But it has served to further that desire to reflect on the past year and look forward to the next as we see 2010 slip into 2011.

I've been thinking a lot about New Year's resolutions during these days. (I know you'll be reading this after the New Year, but it's never too late to start thinking about a resolution:) I am somewhat on the fence on them.

On the one hand, I think they are ridiculous as we make them up out of peer pressure to commit to doing things we already know we should do but probably don't really want to do.

On the other hand, I do think it is good to spend time reflecting on our lives and searching for those places we need growth and change. I think tangible goals are great. And I think we all need a good reminder of what needs to be done from time to time (as we as humans tend to lose vision;)

So, with that in mind, here is my list of new year's resolutions (aka things that I know but tend to forget):

1. Make a short list of people whose opinions really matter. This point was made to me during our Summer Youth Conference this year in an adult leader meeting. Why do we let people who aren't qualified sway our opinions of who we are or how good a job we are doing. When I stopped and thought about the three or four people who are godly, mature, humble people who love me no matter what suddenly alot of my fears and anxieties were able to leave based on their view of me. (I'd forgotten this one since summer;)

2. Live to please God; not make a product. It is easy, especially as a minister, to evaluate my life based on results: attendance, conversions, events, money raised for missions, number of people who know my name. But at the end of the day (or for that matter our lives), all that really matters is if I've listened and obeyed my Lord.

3. Get healthier. I know. This is so cliche, but stick with me. I want to improve my health - mentally, physically, spiritually, etc. - because I feel better and accomplish more when I do. So, my wife and I have already got a jump start on this one: we've been working out together 20 minutes a day for the whole month of December! We want to eat healthier. We want to speak healthier. We to create healthier rhythms in our lives, so we will be able to respond healthier to the crazy world we live in!

I know these are basic, but they are the things I need to constantly remind myself of - the things I tend to forget and lose sight of when things get hectic.

So how about you? What are your resolutions? What are the things you need to remember. Maybe we can help each other remember them better this next year.

God bless & Happy New Year!

No comments: