Tuesday, September 22, 2009

...And on the Seventh Day...

"And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation." (Genesis 2:2-3 ESV)

Mondays are my day off from church and yesterday I reinstated a principle for my day off that I had let slip - I fasted from media.

Months and months ago, I had recognized my issues with media, technology and information - I'm addicted to it! I have a hard time not being consumed with movies & music & blogs & research & cellphones. So I decided to rest from all forms of electronic entertainment on my day off.

But...it is easy for things to creep back in. I have to take this call. I need to check this site. I need to google this answer. I need to add this movie to my Netflix queue. And eventually, it became updating Facebook and watching movies and hours of blog reading.

So last week I decided to renew my commitment of abstaining from technology on Mondays for the purpose of entertainment...and it was kind of hard! But I did have better conversations with my wife. I enjoyed mowing my grass more since I wasn't trying to get done just to get to the next thing. I played games and read books with my kids. It was truly more refreshing.

So, tell me how & if you spend your "seventh day" resting. I want to know your journey in this difficult area of our lives. "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." (Shalom) -Pastor Mark

No comments: