Thursday, April 1, 2010

Creepy....

So I watched this video preview of Project Natal, the new user interface for XBox projected to hit the market for the 2010 Holiday Season.



...and it creeped me out!

As I watched the portrayal of how this device would bring the family back together and create better relationships and make us feel like we aren't all alone in this big world, I got this odd feeling of deja vu, as if I had heard this all before.

...And then it dawned on me where - Ray Bradbury's 1953 novel, Fahrenheit 451.

In this science fiction work set in the "future", we find a society where books have been banned and the television has taken over the home. One of the most profound scenes in the book is where the main character, whose job is to burn illegal books, starts questioning whether things are all right in the world. As he tries to discuss these thoughts with his wife, she tells him to stop bothering her with such trivial things as she has to get to her program. You see, tonight on her favorite show she has requested to be a part of act. So at the prescribed point, the actors look out of the screen, call her by name and ask her a question, and she must say her line.

Like I said, creepy.

So what is your take on virtual integration through gaming systems such as the XBox Natal?

1 comment:

Nathan Stitt said...

Xbox, gotta love it ;)

Really enjoying reading through some of your blog posts this year, even though I'm a bit far behind.