Saturday, April 24, 2010

We Will Not Be Silent...

Last weekend I saw a rare sight.

I saw a group of approximately 60 young people lay down their cell phones

their schedules

their food

and their selves

to seek God and look towards what He wants us to do with our lives.

All these things happened as a part of our annual 30 Hour Famine - an event where we fast for 30 hours in order to seek God and learn about the needs of others all over the world.

I continue to be amazed that this event is one of our most well attended during the year. Why would such a large group of teenagers make such sacrifice? I mean don't you have to have pizza and laser lights and a guy juggling chainsaws to attract kids these days?

But I grow more and more everyday to believe that young people attach to events like the 30 Hour Famine because they are looking for more.

They are looking for significance and meaning and purpose. They are looking for the things that fulfill.

And that is only found in Loving God and Loving your neighbor. Jesus knew this when He answered the religious leader in Matthew 22:

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I find that young people today, as much as any generation, are trying to pursue those commandments. They want their generation to be one that turns some of the negative tide found in our society. They want to see God restore them and those around them that are hurting.



So join will you join me in nurturing and mentoring and challenging this generation to never be silent...

1 comment:

Brian Miller said...

that is awesome! I had a question..do you have service on wednesday nights? what time? I know that you probably have it on your website, but I like asking you! Also, next Sunday we are having a bunch of bands at my church: Before there was Rosalyn, Onward to Olympas, Fit for a King, The Advocate, Beneath the Empire, Inlow, Euphony, and Bodies awake. We are having frisbee golf and halo tournaments. Basketball and (hopefully) a bonfire. It should be a great night of fun so if you or any of your kids want to come out that would rock! It starts at 4pm and there will be food/drinks there. Cost is only $10. Sorry to use this as an advertisement, but I wanted you to know. Call me sometime, I would love to have lunch with you sometime. Thanks man!