Saturday, February 19, 2011

That Stinks...

So let me set the stage a little bit.

As our family grows and we try to save money and create healthier environments for our home, we have made some interesting choices.

Okay, I know some might think weird would be a better word.

Or crazy perhaps.

But one of those choices we have made is to go to cloth diapering.

No, not these kind.



There are actually some really cool new cloth diaper designs like this one.



They actually use snaps or velcro and have removable inserts and don't work too much different than a disposable diaper.

...other than the fact that you have to clean them. And sometimes there are some unpleasant things that need to be scraped off into the toilet. Nine times out of ten...no, more like 99 times out of 100 Shannon has to do this chore.

Okay. I've got you up to speed. Now here's my story.

A few days ago I was having one of those days. I was worried about many things. I was feeling sorry for myself. I was wondering why I was the only one...

You get the idea.

And my wife asked me a normal legitimate question in an appropriate and humble way

...and it made me cranky.

Now I knew it shouldn't. I knew that I was the one in the wrong and my attitude was totally off base.

...but I couldn't seem to kick it. I was upset.

So I'm walking around the house, trying to figure out how to respond and change my attitude and this thought comes to my mind:

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interest, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3-4 ESV)

So I scraped the diapers.

...And I felt better. Immediately. My attitude was changed. My crankiness was gone. My love for my wife was overflowing.

It was weird. And good to experience such a strong tangible effect of Scripture.

So how have you seen Scripture come to life this week?

No comments: