Sunday, January 31, 2010

There's Sin in My Heart!

This is my son Isaac.

He is sixteen months old.

And he has sin in his heart.

How can I say that? Because I caught him in the act. I took this picture just following Isaac stealing my wife’s sandwich when she stepped away from the table, stuffing as much of it in his mouth as possible and then giving this impossibly incriminating grin when she returned.

Sixteen-months-old! And he has sin in his heart! He is chosing to do wrong and he knows it! Why? Well, maybe partly because I have sin in my heart. Maybe because we all have sin in our hearts. We are a sinful people. I saw it in my own heart this week when I blew up when my plans got messed with. When I turned all task oriented on my wife when I needed to be relationally understanding. When I gave in to a little self-pity. And as frustrating as those things are, it serves to remind me how much we need a Savior and how important it is that we share that hope with EVERYONE!

I was reading in Isaiah this week and God gives Isaiah this message for the people that they are going to be punished for their sins. However he goes on to say that this discipline will only last a while and it is for them to see their need for God. And in Isaiah 12 it culminates with: “You will say in that day: ‘I will give thanks to you, O Lord, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, that you might comfort me. Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”(Is. 12:1-2)

Isaiah is a book, while in the Old Testament, rich with references to Christ who will be our Redeemer. In those times and these, it is good for us, a sinful people, to remember that there is hope in a forgiving God who is reaching out to us.

How are you living in that truth today? How are you sharing it with other?

No comments: